Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Eliza's Blog on 11/16

We left our hotel at 5:45 to get an early start to the day. Many of us were sleepy as we stood outside in the dark, waiting for the bus to pick us up and take us to the ferry. Many of us slept on the ferry while others listened to music. The waves were extremely pretty as well as the mountains in the distance. After about two hours we finally got to port where we took another bus ride to the train station. Here we bought lunches from a large store that had many different kinds of food and 'obentos' or box lunches. I had their chocolate croissants which were delicious. When then got on a train and rode for two to three hours to another train station where we then got on another train that we rode for about an hour to Miyazaki. The scenery was beautiful and the building looked much more traditional Japanese style. 

Once we got to school we had a breif orientation and was given our schedules. Finally we got to meet our second host siblings. To my surprise, my host’s mother and father also came. Both were extremely nice, however they didn't fully understand or speak English, therefore forcing me to use my Japanese to try and communicate which worked out pretty well for the most part. We picked up dinner from a tasty resturant called ‘Hotto Motto’ before going to church. My host family is Christian like I am and tonight they happened to have bible study. The church was wooden and looked very traditional. We ate our dinner before relaxing. At the study we started by singing religious songs such as ‘Amazing Grace’ in Japanese. I introduced myself in Japanese and they said a prayer for my safety before starting. At the end of it they let me keep one of the choir books. It was a long tiring day but it was a lot of fun. 

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment